Ever been told you look sick? Or just look yourself in the mirror and think something`s wrong with your face? This used to happen to me all the time, literally! After a couple minutes of talking to a friend, they would ask me am I sick. Why? Well, apparently I had “huge, dark circles” and “lines and wrinkles” around my eyes.
After the initial shock, I learned that I am not alone in this and that there are thousands (if not millions) of guys faced with the same problem. Apparently, this is the first place those first signs of aging appear in men, signs like – dark circles, bags and puffiness, crows feet and sagging.
My first reaction to this was “I gotta get it taken care of!” And I immediately went on a hunt for the best eye cream for men I can find. The final result of this quest is this article where we are going to cover the anatomy of the skin around eyes, common causes of dark circles, wrinkles and other skin aging signs and recommend the best men’s under eyes creams you can order today!
The Anatomy Of The Skin Around The Eyes
We all know that the skin around our eyes is sensitive, but exactly how sensitive it is and why? – The skin around the eyes is actually 10 times thinner than the rest of the skin on our face! As we age, the skin becomes even thinner as the collagen starts to break down and the skin loses its elasticity – this is why we need an eye cream.
As if that was not enough, our skin is also aggravated by other factors such as:
- Harmful sun exposure – the outer layer of skin cells contains pigment Melanin which protects our skin from harmful UV rays. But when we “burn,” the UV rays penetrate deeper into the skin, causing damage and even cellular death (Source: MedlinePlus)
- Inadequate sun protection – ideally, we should be wearing sunblock anytime we are outside since harmful UV rays can penetrate clouds as well. If you are looking for a good sunblock, see our article on Choosing The Best Sunscreen For Men Here
- Environmental factors – in addition to the sun, other environmental factors are wind and cold, air pollution and climate
- Smoking (both active and passive) – nicotine constricts smaller blood vessels and reduces the blood flow to the outer layer of the skin. Reduced blood flow leads to the decreased oxygen and nutrient flow
- Movement – facial movements and micro movements produces astonishing number of movements on a daily basis (10`s of thousands); these movements lead to fine lines and wrinkles
- Rubbing – rubbing your eyes (when waking up or crying) can damage the skin
- Makeup – I`m guessing(hoping) this is not a major problem for us men
Keeping The Skin Around The Eyes Healthy Naturally
Here at SkincarePanda we like to address the root of the problem as well as it`s symptoms. The symptoms are easily manageable with creams for men, but addressing the rook cause of wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles is as important.
This is why, in addition to recommending helpful eye creams, we are going to offer some general tips and lifestyle changes that can lead to healthier skin:
- Keeping yourself hydrated – I`m pretty sure you are already sick and tired of hearing this, but I have to mention it as well 🙂 Drinking plenty of water will help your body to function properly and keep your skins elastic
- Limit sun exposure – the sun is the single greatest threat to our skin, which is why you should avoid overexposing yourself to it. A moderate amount of sun each day will not hurt (it`s healthy, in fact), but going overboard will cause problems
- Use sunscreen (in addition to an eye cream) – this tip goes hand in hand with the previous one, and it is often overlooked. Most people think you should use sunscreen only when chasing a tan, but this is wrong; you should apply it anytime you are directly exposed to sunlight
- Wear sunglasses – you should wear sunglasses in summer and in the winter as well! The main goal here is to prevent squinting
- Avoid smoking, or being around smokers – I know this is harder said than done but at least try
Best Eye Creams For Men – Top 5 Reviews For 2018
When it comes to the best eye creams for men, you can`t just rely on TV advertisement as this is a multi million dollar industry and everyone is out to “dump” their products into your lap. You need to be smart, invest some time in searching and reading articles just like this one. Choose carefully but be willing to experiment and try different male eye creams every once in a while! These are the best we came across so far:
Eye Cream For Dark Circles And Puffiness from Foxbrim
Recommending this company may come as a surprise to many of you but, as I`ve said before, we are not only interested in the “Top Brands,” we enjoy digging deeper and coming across gems like this. You probably never even heard of Foxbrim, but they make one of the best eye creams for men you`ll ever try.
Why? Well, we don`t know the exact secret, but I`m sure that its success mainly comes from using organic ingredients. Natural ingredients will also minimize the chance of skin irritation and soothe a broad range of skin types, even the most sensitive ones.
This under eye cream will help with dark circles, puffiness, fine lines and wrinkles. It will also lighten your skin, making it look healthy and vibrant once again.
This cream combines:
- Vitamin A – which boosts cell production and rejuvenates the skin tissue
- Green Tea – green tea is awesome for reducing swelling and puffiness
- Palm Oil – reduces skin damage and slow the aging process
- Aloe Vera – fights skin aging, lines, and wrinkles, sun damage and acts as a moisturizer
- Glycerin and safflower oil and a number of other ingredients to ensure bright, healthy looking, elastic and radiant skin
TruSkin Men’s Eye Gel – Best Value For Money
In our reviews we try to maintain a good balance of price and quality, and this product offers just that – superb quality, at a lower price (as compared to similar products on the market).
First of all, the product is made in the US, this tells you right off the bat we are talking about a quality product. It is currently being produced in a lab that is FDA registered and GMP certified (GMP stands for good manufacturing practices, regulated by the pharmaceutical industry). TruSkin eye gel is also a cruelty free product, meaning it was never tested on animals.
Next, if we look at the ingredients, we will see that the formula includes 75% organic ingredients, contains no parabens, alcohol, fragrances, or other harmful chemicals (good news for those of you with sensitive skin).
The formula itself is light-weight, aimed specifically at dark circles, bags under eyes, puffiness and fine lines. It will also:
- Renew your skin by boosting the production of collagen
- Prevent sagging of the skin
- Tighten your skin and increase its elasticity
Now, this company goes a step further when it comes to customer satisfaction. It offers an incredible 3 FULL MONTH money back GUARANTEE. Meaning you can buy the product, keep on using it for three full months, and if you are not satisfied with the results, you can contact them and request a refund. Now, that’s not something you see everyday!
Cheap Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream For Men – Neutrogena
And so, we come to the “more familiar” brand – Neutrogena. This is one of the cheaper, “budget” eye creams for wrinkles, fine lines and age spots.
This is a night cream with a patented formula containing:
- Retinol – retinol is a form of vitamin A widespread in cosmetic and health industry. It helps skin create healthier cells, provides antioxidant support, improves skin structure and elasticity
- Vitamin E – this vitamin is proven to help skin retain its moisture and safeguard from harmful effects of the sun
- UVA/UVB sunscreen – the cream also features UVA and UVB skin protection, but I`m unsure of its purpose since you will be applying the cream during the night 🙂
Anavita Eye Cream
This eye cream is primarily designed for battling wrinkles and fine lines, but it will also moisturize your skin; unlike Neutrogena, you can apply Anavita during the day as well.
The cream contains 3 clinically ingredients clinically proven to have beneficial effects on the skin:
- Hyaluronic acid – proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, help with dry skin, skin rejuvenation and all sorts of skin damage repair
- 5% Argireline – Argireline in 5% concentration is proven to penetrate deeply into the skin and relaxes facial muscles. This “facial relaxation” leads to smooth skin and clears fine lines and wrinkles. According to several clinical studies, Argireline helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles by up to 30% over 30 days
- Matrixyl – Matrixyl stimulates collagen production and skin repair
As you can see, this under eye cream is a mixture of some of the best ingredients in the “anti-aging” industry and is guaranteed to give you good results!
Advanced Firming Eye Cream
This is certainly one of the best eye creams for firming the skin around the eyes, and it is recommended for both men and women. What I love about this cream is that its 100% certified organic, made in the USA and it was not tested on animals. When you buy it, you know you are getting top shelf quality!
This advanced formula combines 78 natural ingredients, specially chosen to tend to the most sensitive area of our facial skin – the skin around our eyes. Natural ingredients will also make sure there is no threat of skin irritation, meaning this cream is suited for those amongst you with super sensitive skin.
This anti-aging eye cream will:
- Smooth and firm the skin around your eyes
- Lighten dark circles and
- Deflate bags and puffiness under your eyes
There is one more thing that really separates this cream from the rest – 180-day Full Money Back warranty. Meaning, if you have been using the eye cream for 6 months and still are not satisfied, you will get your money back! This is unheard-of in the beauty industry, as far as I know. To take advantage of this incredible deal, click the link below: